With May just around the corner we thought it would be good if we compiled all the televised boxing that will be happening next month. It’s not one you want to miss!
In May we see 7 world title fights, 5 of which include British fighters either defending their gold or trying to bag the belt and bring it home.
It’s a good month for heavyweight boxing! Not only do we have Deontay Wilder defending his WBC Heavyweight title on Russian soil against Alexander Povetkin, we also have Derek Chisora going for the European Title against Kubrat Pulev and David Haye continuing his return with Haye Day 2, where he takes on the unbeaten Arnold Gjergiai – there will also be a cameo from Shannon Briggs. LET’S GO CHAMP!
We see Anthony Crolla defend his WBA Lightweight title against the dangerous Ismael Barroso – who earned his shot at Crolla by destroying Kevin Mitchell last time out. Can Crolla keep his Cinderella story going by doing what Mitchell couldn’t?
Lee Haskins makes the first defence of his IBF Bantamweight title against familiar named Ivan Morales, younger brother of Mexican legend Eric Morales. Can Haskins keep hold of his belt and potentially set up a clash with Jamie McDonnell?
We also see Amir Khan taking on “Canelo” Alvarez for the WBC and Ring magazine Middleweight championships. Is the jump up two divisions going to be too much for the Bolton native or can he spring an upset and cement his legacy in boxing?
The other Brits going for world honours this month are Ricky Burns and Tony Bellew, who go for the vacant WBA Super-Lightweight and WBC Cruiserweight titles respectively. Can Burns make history and become a 3 weight world champion? Can Bellew finally capture a World title at the third time of asking?
There are some brilliant domestic showdowns, with Tyrone Nurse defending his British title against the durable Willie Limond and Joe Mullender and Lee Markham dusting it out for the vacant English Middleweight Title. There are also fights for this exciting lot: Craig Kennedy, Andrew Selby and Conor Benn.
Check out the full schedule here: http://www.boxingbritain.co.uk/fight-schedule/
It’s not a month of boxing you will want to miss!
- Shamrock Boys invade Braintree - May 16, 2016
- We think we know what we’re talking about! Crolla & Khan - May 6, 2016
- The fight schedule for May is up, and it’s looking good! - April 28, 2016
- We think we know what we’re talking about – Charles Martin vs Anthony Joshua - April 8, 2016
- Crowdfunding for Nick Blackwell - March 28, 2016
- Take that you Punt! 3 - March 25, 2016
- We think we know what we’re talking about: Blackwell vs Eubank Jr - March 25, 2016
- Craig Poxton: I want that English Title - March 23, 2016
- Sexton makes statement at The Halls - March 6, 2016
- Take that you Punt! 2 - February 26, 2016